we´re currently rebuilding this site
Welcome to the newly re-launched Fred Frith website.
Here you can:
- find the latest news on upcoming concerts and record releases
- download your concert promotion and logistics needs, including bios, press quotes, photos, and tech riders)
- access archives, including lists of recent compositions, film soundtracks, and CDs
- read a selection of interviews and other writings
- access a selection of audio and video clips
- contact Fred if you have questions or comments
I’m a songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist (bass, keyboards, violin) and an improviser performing mostly on various permutations of the electric and acoustic guitar.
Occasionally I use crude home-made string instruments of my own invention. I learned how to compose in rock bands, starting with Henry Cow in 1968. This meant writing for and with people that I knew, and then arriving at the final result through a collective rehearsal process.
During the Henry Cow years I fell in love with the recording studio and its endless possibilities. I embrace the idea of the “work” as an unfinished and constantly mutating entity. Collaboration, improvisation, sculpting sound in the studio, and treating composition as an open-ended process remain central to how I make music.
contact Fred Frith